Stay up to date on what’s new with our Department and what interests YOU, the veteran!
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (Posted Feb 22, 2023)
The VFW Department of Alaska has a job opening:
Location: VAMC, Anchorage, 1201 N. Muldoon Road
Hours: Monday-Friday 8AM-4PM (Plus Training)
Pay: Salary, Depends on experience
Benefits: Paid sick leave, paid vacation leave, all Federal and State holidays, SEP (Simplified Employee Pension) package, Group Life term policy.
Military experience desirable but not required
The Claims Consultant is responsible for aiding veterans and their dependents by identifying and explaining state and federal benefit programs; helping prepare applications and reviewing records; and serving as liaison for clients in their dealings with benefit providers.
- Conducting in person and telephone interviews with veterans about the issues they want to file a claim for to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Informing the claimant of all evidence requirements needed to further process a claim for compensation or pension benefits.
- Interpretation VA Rating Letters, Award Letters, code sheets, procedures, and state law.
- Create and publish daily, weekly, and monthly reports, as required for the State VFW office and the Anchorage VSO.
- Utilizing various electronic data processing (VetraSpec) systems for inputting data; for claims processing, documents, forms, and communication for correspondence preparation to inform the claimant, and any service officer/claims consultant on the basis for the action taken.
- Refers veterans to other Federal Agencies and State and Local Agencies when potential eligibility for non-VA Benefits is indicated.
- Knowledge of a complete and current set of VA regulations and laws.
- Clerical support to include receptionist duties, typing, filing, word processing, as assigned by proper authority.
- Attain and maintain certification as a Claims Consultant for the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). Must be able to pass a rigorous background investigation.
- Perform other duties related to this position.
The work is performed within the established parameters of state and federal program regulations and policies, and under the general direction, and responsibility to the VFW Department of Alaska. A Claims Consultant may be required to attend out-of-state training up to twice a year.
Interested parties should fax their resume to (907) 373-7601 or email email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Employment starts in March 2023
Keep Checking back for updates on the next round of meetings.
SEE below for a list of the Town hall Meetings!!!
Creig Sharp Funeral Honors for Veterans Act
Creig Sharp Funeral Honors for Veterans Act 19
WEBSITE SOLUTIONS PROGRAM
National Anthem Singing Contest
Visit www.nationalanthemproud.com for additional information
VETERAN’S COURT MENTOR
The Anchorage Veterans Court is a specialized court designed to facilitate the rehabilitation of eligible veterans who are charged with criminal offenses. The court provides judicial monitoring coupled with alternative sentencing plea agreements to help eligible veterans succeed with their own rehabilitation and return to a productive law-abiding lifestyle, thereby reducing crime and its costs to society.
They are in need of Veterans Court Mentor’s. If interested, click here for additional information and application.
Need assistance? Click here for additional information….
VFW Department of Alaska TENTATIVE Planning Calendar